I'll give you a progression of the stories and facts as they developed for me.
My grandpa told a very interesting story about Harry saying that
he was a 5 year old kid and the Kondzielas found him with no parents on boat on the trip over here. I'm not sure if he was just trying to spruce it up and make it interesting or if he believed it, but what actually happened is a bit different.
This is how I started out my search about a year ago... I was trying to verify the story with Beverly Keltner:
My mom has been telling me this story that Grandma and Grandpa have been telling her since she was a girl. She said that Robert and Olga found Harry left over on the ship without his parents. They couldn't understand him (different language) and called him Harry Allen because that was the name sewn in his jacket.
I officially debunked the story today for her, which kind of sucks, but now we're really wondering what the heck happened.
First issue- Robert came over when he was 5, and Olga came over on a completely different ship, so they could not have been married and adopted Harry.
2nd issue- I have a copy of the 1905 census on ancestry.com that shows that Robert was still single when he had Harry. Harry's name was Henry in the 1905 census, and he was 13 years old, which means he was born in 1892 (Robert and his parents came over in 1884). He was not on the 1900 census for the Konselas.
I checked the 1900 Montana, Wi census for Allens and couldn't find any, which makes me really wonder where this kid came from.
She did tell me that she went to visit him in a home a couple of times and does remember him. We're both really interested in finding out the true origins.
This was her response:
I spoke with my sister Rosemary, and she had memories much
like my own about Harry. Harry lived
with Erna but we thought we had been told they never married. We remember the house as being very
dark. We were told Erna was nearly
blind but could see better in dim light, so the kerosene lanterns that were
mounted on the walls were lit very low.
Neither of us knew just WHO he was – but thought he was someone who just
came to live with grandma and grandpa
(Robert and Olga) who brought him up with their own children. Rosemary remembers that the Allens lived
out in the country around the Arcadia area.
They had a spring near the house and had built a “spring house” over a
flat rock the water ran over. (Springhouses
were used as refrigerators since the water coming out of the earth was very
cold and cooled the area around it. The
springhouse served as a refrigerator for milk and butter and other food
items. Bev remembers being impressed with a “really
cool” (no pun intended!) waterfall that
flowed down a hill over wooden slats that had been placed in a descending
order. These may have formed the system
that brought the water to the house the way Bill remembers it.
Rosemary and Beverly remember one story from a visit that
they have repeated many times. The
family was visiting Harry and Erna and she served a lunch of sandwiches. After the plate went around the table, Erna
took the sandwich plate back into the pantry saying she needed to make more
sandwiches. (There must have been a few of us in the
family by that time!) Erna returned the
plate to the table with the same sandwiches, but they were cut into smaller
pieces! (This seems like a trick worth
remembering!)
The next time I heard from Bev regarding this subject:
Following is a message that my brother Bill posted on our Thoma Family Blog.
Harry Allen was born on November 4, 1892 in Long Island, New
York.
He served in the US Army during World War I. The entered the
Army at Duluth MN on May 2, 1918. He was a Private assigned to Co. D, 357th
Infantry. He was discharged at Camp Grant, IL on June 16, 1919. I don't know
anything about his service; however, I have requested a copy of his discharge
papers which may shed some light on his service. His serial number was 2858985.
On the claim, he listed his "Father's Name and Place of
Birth" as Frank Allen, Long Island, NY. He listed his "Mother's
Maiden Name and Place of Birth" as Mary Konsella (stepmother) Bessemer,
MI. He listed his next of kin as Robert Pogreba, friend.
(Note: Bessemer MI is in the UP, not far from Hurley WI.)
My records show that in June of 1974 he was a resident of
the Arcadia Nursing Home. He died on Christmas day, 1986 at St. Joseph's
Hospital in Arcadia.
He is buried in Lot 212 of St. Joseph's Cemetery in Glencoe
(just outside of Arcadia). The County Veteran Service Officer ordered a flat
granite grave marker from the VA and I ASS U ME that it is on his grave. I have
not visited the grave - maybe I'll visit it next summer.
His death certificate is recorded in Trempealeau County. The
cause of death is listed as Arterial Sclerotic Heart Disease. The father and
mother's names on the certificate say "unknown".
His soc sec number was 468 18 4463.
I vaguely remember visiting Harry on his farm. What I
remember was that the house was very dark and that he had "running
water" in the house. There was a wooden trough running right through the
house from a spring outside. Water ran through the trough continuously which had
to be pretty handy. I don't believe that there was electriciy in the house -
but that was probably 55 years ago, so my memory might not be accurate. Didn't
Harry have a woman - Erna?? living with him? What was her last name?
What I remember Mom saying about Harry was that he came to
live with their family because he was abused by ?? as a child. I seem to
remember her saying that he had a scar on his face from a time that he was hit
in the face with a butcher knife.
Harry had to be about 33 years old when Mom was born, so she
was repeating lore that may have been exaggerated some.
Harry was probably a "step" cousin or nephew of
Robert.
I've been talking to August Konsella's (he took the 2 Ls) grandson, John Riggs of Reno, NV. I relayed some of that information and asked him if he knew anything about Harry. He responded with:
Harry was adopted from the Orphan Train from NY to live with with the
August and Mary Kondziela family in Bessemer, MI. He lived with them and
when grandpa Kondziela died, he came to the funeral. He very well may
have moved in with August's brother Robert to help on Robert's place.
May be he wanted to be a farmer and learned that with Robert. Our family
was close and all the relatives visited back and forth.
The brewery is long gone. Grandpa built the family home on the site. He also built 6 or more other houses on Iron Street in Bessemer. He also moved many of the houses in the town to other lots.
Thank you for the update on what happened to Harry, seems he was the adopted or step brother of both of our groups. PS, this kind of proves we are cousins you know.
The brewery is long gone. Grandpa built the family home on the site. He also built 6 or more other houses on Iron Street in Bessemer. He also moved many of the houses in the town to other lots.
Thank you for the update on what happened to Harry, seems he was the adopted or step brother of both of our groups. PS, this kind of proves we are cousins you know.
And:
Look at this web site... this is where Harry Allen came from, via being a
NY orphan. A bunch of these kids were taken off the trains and shifted
around connected families as helpers and made family of those they lived
with.
http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/about/history/orphan-trains
After that, he took me by surprise with this:
I was wondering? Henry Allen and Harry Allen? Were they the same person? Brothers? Harry does vanish from My Mom's family. Mom said that her Mom and Dad took in a Orphan Train kid who the Sheriff and Town Constable made them send him away? Then they got got custody of another, wonder if it was really the same kid or different in both instances and the names are screwed up?
I told him I didn't know anything about a Henry Allen, and we ended the discussion with him saying this:
It is most likely the same fellow. After problems in Bessemer, he was sent to live with your Robert and turned out to be a good kid and good man. I will list him will change the name to Harry and show him moving to you guys. This is a direct connection between your Robert and my August (Augustyne - Augustyne) Kondziella to your Robert's spelling. I also could have written Henry instead of Harry by mistake. We need to clean these mistakes up and merge the families.
So, that's what I have for Harry Allen. I'm not sure if any of you have any more details you could add about him or his life. I'm not sure whether he was abused or if he was a "bad kid". I would think that John would not have been told if his grandparents were abusing Harry. Then again, maybe Harry needed to get out of the city and onto the farm to clean up his act. Either way, he was and still is a direct link from the Robert Konsela family to the August Konsella family, and it was a very interesting story that developed over the last year and a half.
A couple of side notes to this story.
ReplyDelete*August and Ignatz (Nick), Robert's brothers, both moved to Bessemer, MI. I have been in contact with relatives of both of them.
** John Riggs, the grandson of August that I've been talking to, was also mentioned in the book "The Long Way Home: An American Journey from Ellis Island to the Great War". It was a very interesting book (my Mom bought it for me) and Max's story is kind of tragic. It's a good read.
I started the book, "The Long Way Home" last summer but didn't finish it. Guess it's time to pull it out again. (The author is Laskin.)
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the BLOG, Joe. I haven't seen you since your were a very young boy and now you sound like a very well versed young man. I am very happy you are taking up this research and I feel proud to have you share it with us, your aunts, uncles and 2nd cousins. You are affecting many lives by doing this. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI remember our family going to Harry H. Allen and Erna Hayfle or Hayful. I don't know the spelling of it. We went there a few times and picked hazel nuts and walnuts with the black thick covering on yet. We'd hang them in a gunny sack in the attic until they dried and were usable. I wanted to go there a couple years ago to drink the spring water and see the place. Why? I don't know. It was a beautiful place with the spring and old house in the valley and I liked it. Now, I'll have to go for sure.
Wow!! We're really digging into poor Harry The way
ReplyDeleteI understood it Harry was not his real name. I don't
remember if his name change happened when he was a
kid on the train or when he was in the army but the
group he was with had their jackets hanging and when
the call to leave came everybody grabed jackets and
the only one left was named HARRY Allen so he had to take it
after that everyone called him Harry Allen.
Also Erna Hayfull or however it's spelled was the owner
of the farm where they lived. Erna's husband died and
Harry was her hired man or at least that's the way it started. This was the story my Dad told me.
Bob I now also do remember being told that the farm was Erna's as well. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteJoe this post is so wonderful. Can you also write us a narrative of Robert and Olga? Could you tell us their parents' names, their siblings, when they immigrated and where from (and I think I figured out that Olga's older 2 brothers came on their own at different times???), etc. I know the documents gives us information as well: things like grandma was only 6 months old when she immigrated with her family and that Robert was 5 when he came. Did they know each other in "the old country?" They must have if they were first cousins and settled in the same place in America. How did they decide on Waumandee? I think it was 1905 (WI) census that tells us Robert was single and had his mother and Harry living with him just before he married Olga the following year. Often hired help was on census lists or anyone who was even visiting when the census person showed up???
And I can hardly wait to hear of the stories that will be told at the reunion from "old" neighbors who knew the family well when they were growing up. I also think the "older" cousins have much to add to fill out the time and reality of life between the historical documents.
Please keep up the good work! You are providing treasures for our families. We look forward to more rich information from you!
I'm glad you guys liked this post. I don't know a lot of the personal stories of the family. I have mostly the technical stuff... like the passenger lists that Bev posted and a few other documents.
ReplyDeleteI do have some pictures of a couple of Robert's brothers. I wasn't sure if you guys would want to see that kind of stuff or not though... I thought you might want to keep it focused on Robert and Olga down. Sadly, I think I know more about a couple of the brothers than Robert because I've been in contact with their descendants trying to find out what happened with them and they usually have stories.
I will get some stuff together and I will be able to give you a general idea of how the family spread out and which spellings of the names each brother took. I might have to wait until I have a day off of work to do that part though.
Until then, I have some pictures I'll post.
Joe, I think that we should concentrate on the Robert and Olga Family. However, I was so impressed with the info that you got from the descendants of Robert's brothers that I have an idea.
ReplyDeleteHow about if the Blog Master would change the title of the PHOTOS tab to another name, maybe EXTENDED FAMILY, and you could "post away" there. People who are interested in the additional info could check it out and it wouldn't clutter the Home page for those who are interested only in Robert and Olga's family. What do you think?
Yes, thank you for posting pictures. Posts with pictures seem to get many page views.
That sounds good. I already posted a picture of Lawrence's family and another of August's brewing company's bottle. I'll hold off until you guys decide if you want me to post any more of that stuff, and how it should be done.
ReplyDelete