Elmer Duellman of Elmer’s Auto and Toy Museum turned his home in Fountain City, Wis., into a museum of vintage cars and toys in 1994. Today, his collection includes
more than 100 antique, classic and muscle cars, 125 motorcycles and scooters and more than 700 pedal cars, airplanes and tractors--one of the largest displays of its kind in the world. (Alexa Wallick/Winona Daily News)
FOUNTAIN CITY, Wis. — Elmer Duellman enters the room holding his granddaughter’s hand.
He stops at a small step separating the rooms and gently lifts the child, guiding her safely down. With both feet on the ground, the 16-month-old scampers off around the corner where an extensive array of antique toys is sectioned off for display.
Elmer, his wife, Bernadette Duellman, and daughter Amanda Mckitty watch as the child circles the room oblivious to the array of Shirley Temple dolls, Popeye figurines and a 1929 Model A Phaeton occupying the space.
Much like her daughter, Amanda grew up amid Elmer’s collection of vintage cars and antique toys that make up Elmer’s Auto and Toy Museum in Fountain City.
“It was normal,” she said, shrugging her shoulders.
For the past 50 years, Elmer has collected toys and cars that date back to the 1800s. His collection became so substantial that in 1994 he turned his house into a museum.
“When I was 12 years old I thought I would like to have a museum,” Elmer said. “I never thought I could.”
Elmer grew up poor and didn’t have many toys to play with. He was 7 when his mother died and by the time he was 10 he was working alongside his father at his gas station to help support the family.
“I had to grow up fast,” he said. “I was never young.”
Before he could legally drive, Elmer knew how to change a tire, pump gas and replace spark plugs. He learned even more when he opened his own salvage yard as an adult.
During his free time, he loved to race, and despite the trips to the hospital and an occasional ticket, Elmer continued to drive.
“All the police officers knew me,” Elmer said, laughing.
Elmer began purchasing items at nearby auctions in 1962. Today, his collection spreads more than 100 acres, filling five buildings. The collection includes more than 100 antique, classic and muscle cars, 125 motorcycles and scooters and more than 700 pedal cars, airplanes and tractors — one of the largest displays of its kind in the world.
Since the museum opened 19 years ago, people have traveled from as far as South Africa to see Elmer’s collection. The museum is also popular among church groups, family reunions and car and motorcycle clubs.
“It’s fun sharing it with people,” Elmer said. “I’ve made lots of good friends through the museum.”
While Elmer is driven to collect, there would be no museum without without Bernadette.
Since their marriage in 1962, they’ve worked as a team for nearly 50 years, managing several businesses. Elmer said they get along perfectly.
“Our kids have never heard us argue because we never argue,” he said.
Elmer has no plans to retire and said he lives his life day by day. He may be proud of his collection, but his focus remains on his family. To him, it’s the most important thing.
“I’m lucky I got a good family,” Elmer said.
“That’s everything in my life. If you don’t have family, you don’t have nothing.”

Vicky,
ReplyDeleteThat was very nice to post this article of one of our cousins. I will forward this to Bernadette and she will be so proud.
How informational is this article and what a nice acknowledgement of your accomplishments, Duellmans. As I read I thought, "Behind every great man there is a woman", and there in the next paragraph it acknowledged you Bernadette.
ReplyDeleteAbout the Shirley Temple dolls: By chance are any of them from Shirley Ann? She had a large collection as a little girl. I wondered what ever happened to all those dolls she had upstairs. I look forward to asking you and Shirley Ann in person on the 18th.